On Monday, we got to release our first butterfly into the sunny blue Iowa sky! It flew off immediately after the lid came off the box, so we hardly had a chance to say goodbye!
Next, we came inside and made symmetrical paintings inspired by the color and shapes of the monarch butterfly.
On Wednesday, butterfly #2 was ready for release. This one took some gentle coaxing to leave the box and C's finger. What fun to watch it fly up and away after observing it since the tiny caterpillar stage.
Our class made a few observations when we came back inside:
A: We have 2 clear chrysalises.
N: The butterfly went through the tree.
E: The butterfly we let out today came out more slowly than the first one.
L: There's only 3 more chrysalises.
C: The butterfly was ready to fly out.
Check out video of the process on Preucil Preschool's Facebook page!
This week in the 3 day class we enjoyed getting to know each other a little bit better!
Some favorite activities were:
• checking the progress of our caterpillars and chrysalis in the insect enclosure. We made crayon drawings after studying their shapes.
• playing in the water table on the playground and in our classroom.
• enjoying the sensory experience of cinnamon-scented play dough.
• making dinosaur traps, enclosures, and battles (and then giving the dinosaurs a bath).
• brainstorming pictures to add to our alphabet wall.
• watercolor paints and crayons.
• painting and collage in the art room.
• enjoying the warm summer sun on the playground.
Marit added "O Susanna" to our music class repertoire - and she sent home a list of song lyrics, did you receive yours?
We read our class book - 3 Day Friends, Some Bugs, and Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What do you See?
We had a great first week in the 3 day class. We spent time getting to know each other, and getting to know our classroom and routines. Kirsten interviewed each student and teacher, so that we could have a class book to read and learn about each other. We sang new songs with Marit, and met Mr. Rabbit in Helen's theater class. We read fun books together, and enjoyed beautiful August weather on the playground. It is going to be a great school year!
A few of our songs from this week:
Hard Day's Night
I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing
Apples and Bananas
Lean on Me
Wee Willy Winky
Johnny Works with One Hammer