We had a great trip to Wilson's Apple Orchard on Tuesday! The weather was sunny and warm, and the apples we tasted were sweet and juicy! We took a fun (and bumpy!) tractor ride through the orchard. Bessie had some trouble getting through the stream, but she perked up when we shouted "Go Bessie Go!". Thanks to all the family members who came along to help!
This week in the 2 day class we enjoyed getting to know each other a little bit better!
Some favorite activities were:
• checking the progress of our caterpillars and chrysalis' in the insect enclosure. We made crayon drawings after studying their shapes.
• enjoying the sensory experience of cinnamon-scented play dough.
• discussing and labeling the parts of an apple tree and an apple.
• watercolor painting, marble painting, and crayon rubbings.
• painting and collage in the art room.
• enjoying the warm summer sun and playing in the water table on the playground.
Marit added "O Susanna" to our music class repertoire - and she sent home a list of song lyrics, did you receive yours?
We read our class book - 2 day friends, and One Red Apple
We had a great first week in the 2 day class. We spent time getting to know each other, and getting to know our classroom and routines. Kirsten interviewed each student and teacher, so that we could have a class book to read and learn about each other. We sang new songs with Marit, and met Mr. Rabbit in Helen's theater class. We read fun books together, and enjoyed beautiful August weather on the playground. It is going to be a great school year!
We made a list of things we know about apples, and learned that our class will be visiting the apple orchard soon!
We also had a performance by Dr. Sasha Garver. She played a few familiar tunes on her flute, and showed us a "kid-size" flute!
We found a monarch caterpillar on our milkweed in the garden, as well as grasshoppers and other insects.
A few of our songs from this week:
Hard Day's Night
I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing
Apples and Bananas
Lean on Me
Wee Willy Winky
Johnny Works with One Hammer